Next steps for internationals


Registration at City Council

As soon as you know when you will arrive in Germany and where you will stay in Lübeck, you can make an appoinment online at the City Council. It is very important to go there right after your arrival here in Lübeck to get registered as a new inhabitant of the City of Lübeck. They will issue a form, which you will need to open a bank account.

You need to bring along:

  • A Specific form signed by your landlord ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung"): (The Studentenwerk sends it automatically together with the contract)


Bank Account

Opening a bank account is one of the first things one should do upon arrival. You may initially need to transfer money for various purposes. It is important to note that different banks may charge different service fees per month. If it is likely that various transactions could occur between the particular bank and a bank in your home country, it is always advisable to select the same bank in Germany, if possible, to minimize transaction fees.

In order to get a visa, many German Embassies ask for a “Blocked Bank Account” at the “Deutsche Bank” or other providers. After your arrival you have to activate this account online. It may take one or two weeks until you are able to use your account, so it is important that you take enough cash with you for your first days in Germany.

Additionally, you may open a student bank account (free of any charges and fees - at least until a certain age) at any bank of your choice, such as Sparkasse.

To open a bank account you have to show/provide:

  • your passport with a valid visa
  • your new address in Lübeck (registration paper from City Council as proof)
  • student ID card or admission letter (proof that you are a student)

You have three options to transfer money

Option 1:”Direct Debit Authorization” (recommended for monthly payments)

You may accept that organizations can debit the monthly payments from your bank account automatically. However, in this case, is is possible for an overdraft to occur. Therefore it is important that you make sure that you have enough money in your account at all times to pay for the automatic withdrawals. The Studentenwerk only accepts "Direct Debit Authorization" for payment of the room rent.

Option 2: “Standing Order”

Arrange a standing order with your bank so the money is transferred automatically. It is possible to choose a monthly date for the transfer and you can cancel this at any time. Be sure that you have enough money in your account. If not, the bank will not transfer the money and you will not receive any message from your bank!

Option 3                  

You also have the option to give the order to manually transfer the money every month. However, students have often forgotten this which can cause many problems.

Health Insurance

Students must have their own health insurance coverage from the first days of arrival in Germany. There are various public and private insurance companies available. Students must decide before the beginning of their studies which company they will choose to join. In general, they are about the same price and offer basic coverage with all doctoral services.

Public health insurance companies
(costs around 100 Euros per month): Basic coverage

Two of the many possible public organizations are “Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse (AOK)” and “Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)”. All public insurance organizations offer reliable and good services.

After registering, your insurance organization will send you your insurance ID card by post. It may take a few days to reach you. Before you receive the card, you can get a registration certificate from the insurance organization to prove your membership.

No matter which insurance you choose for your registration at the health insurance company you will need:

  • Your bank account details (You can give those later)
  • Your passport, admission letter, your address in Germany and a passport picture

Private health insurance companies
Students over the age of 30 must join a private health insurance.

An “All-inclusive” contract, the most expensive solution but the very best service, costs at least 150 Euros per months.

The very basic contract is the cheapest way (around 50 Euros), even cheaper than public insurances, BUT it does not cover all medical services, only basic service and emergency coverage.

Please find details at:

You must submit an online application form with the selected private health insurance company and the contract will be sent via conventional mail.

Please note: A recommendable - but not obligatory - insurance is also the "Liability Insurance" This covers costs which may arise when someone causes an accident unintentionally, e.g. damages somebody's car with his or her bike etc. More information...


Registration at University (see extra menu)


Visa extension

International students have to get an appointment after their arrival at the foreign authority “Ausländerbehörde. There they will change your entry visa into a 1-year or 2- year resident student visa. They normally communicate mainly in German!

You must go and get a specific appointment in advance - via email - auslaenderbehoerde(at)

You will need:

  •  Passport
  •  Passport picture (due to special requirements and legal rules, please note that officers 
     mostly just accept photos taken at the foreign office on the ground floor and most of the people
     speak German to you).
  •  Student ID card
  •  Specific form signed by your landlord ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung"): (The Studentenwerk 
     sends it automatically together with the contract)
  •  Proof of health insurance
  •  Student registration certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) - to be printed out from QIS
  •  About 130 Euro visa extension fee (the amount and the duration of
     extension depending on the individual case assessed by the officer)
  •  Sometimes students need additional documents (e.g. a bank statement
     which should prove that they have enough money for their life in